22 March 2013

Hello Spring with Cutoff Shorts

So spring started in Atlanta with 30°F weather. I have been eyeing these cut off shorts on pinterest for a while now as I prepare for a trip to Mexico later this spring.  I've run into two styles, one is the traditional cut off with a folded up hem and the other is scalloped.  A special mention to those pairs with lace at the cuff as well but I felt those looked more like lingere instead of shorts that I'd wear climbing ancient Aztec pyriamids. So I mixed it up with folded up scalloped edges. These were super easy to make since I used no-sew fusing tape and an iron.

Things you'll need:
Bonding tape
Marker
Circle
Iron
Jeans
Sissors

Step one: I cut off the bottom half of each leg of the jeans. Cut them longer than you want because its easy to cut away but harder to add to more. Try them on leave  an inch more then where you want the shorts to end and cut again. Its easier to cut through one layer of the jeans at a time and will keep the hems even.

Step two: iron on the bonding tape. Follow the tape's directions. Mine is extra strength and 7/8 of a inch in width. This part goes fast since you only need a little heat.

Step three: do this with the jeans waist band closest to you. The circles should barely touch each other, I got four on each side.  Basically you will fold the scalloped edge up so that the edge is a straight line. Once you trace go a head and cut along your line.

step four: fold the scalloped edge up and iron again. If you need to add a little more bonding tape to weak spots you want the scalloped edge to lay flat so that it won't fray. I did one leg at a time and used the first one as a guide for the last one.

And you're done!

Happy Spring ( once it warms up of course)

The Perki Giver

No comments:

Post a Comment