11 December 2012

Paint Chip Calendar

This project seemed simple but was a bit of a challenge for me. Basically you get paint chips from your local hardware store and a picture frame and put them together. I have lots of tips to share so you don't run into the snags I did.




What you need:
Paint chips ( at least 15 to 35 depending on their size)
A large picture frame with glass
Scissors
Contact paper ( plain, patterned and or transparent*)
Double side tape or glue stick











After selecting my color scheme ( randomly grabbing all the pretty purple and blue ones) I decide to perki this project up a notch by cutting my paint chips into circles; because who wants to be a square?
I got a bunch of paint chips that were 3X5 inches in size so I was able to get two 2" inch diameter dots of each color. I had to trace each circle and cut them out one by one the old fashion handmade way. Which made me realize how much I need more craft tools. My hubby suggested using a compass but I'd rather have one of those neat circle punches or cutting tools ( hint, hint wink!) But once I cut all my circles this project sped up a bit.
The other hiccup was my frames. I had gotten these floral and dog prints at my local goodwill for $4.95 each. I'm not crazy over the prints, I really just wanted the frames and glass around the prints. So I didn't mind so much when the floral one didn't have a backboard and I had to cover it in white contact paper. Everything was going fine until I pick up the frame and broke the glass. Panic attack? Nope, it all worked because miraculously the floral print fit perfectly into the doggie frame! Now to think of something cool to do with the extra frame....


Here are the steps:
1) Cut, decorate or embellish you paint chips how ever you like. Just make sure they lay flat and have enough room to write events in.


2)  I covered my back board in white contact paper but you could use anything really, fabric,wrapping paper, tissue paper, scrapbook paper, patterned contact paper whatever suits your fancy.

3) Arrange your paint chips artfully on the backboard.










4) Make it permanent, glue your chips in your arrangement.

5) Put it all back together (carefully), wrap and give!




 Tips:

  • Use a flat head screw driver to lift and lower the staples that hold the backboard in the frame.




  •  Use a wet erase markers instead of a dry erase one,the ink wont wipe off unless it gets wet or leave residue. Consider using white or neon opaque markers if you use dark paint chip colors.



Happy Hanukkah !
Kiss Kiss,
Natrina The Perki Giver

No comments:

Post a Comment