02 December 2012

Crate and Barrel inspired Sharpie mugs

Here is the first gift project!
Crate & Barrel inspired Sharpie Mugs

Great gift for less than $5.00!


Sharpie markers are great! They come in a variety of colors, tip sizes, and can write on every kind of surface. This gift idea is one of the reasons I fell for Pinterest so hard. I mean who doesn't have a Sharpie laying around to doodle with?  My inspiration for the ampersand came from Crate &Barrel commercials ''love & light'' and ''joy&happiness''. This is an easy-peasy gift that can be done at least an hour before it needs no be presented. It seems almost to good to be true in 3 very simple steps.

1) Write on ceramic mug with Sharpie.
2) Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
3) Give!!! *after you wrap it all Perki and cute of course.

However, results can be mixed. See herehere, here and  there for other crafters attempts.

So taking all that into account I choose these black octagon mugs from my local Goodwill for $0.77 each, (SCORE !) and used metallic markers. I already had a regular silver Sharpie and brought a Elmer's Painters pen at Walmart,  both of which did not come off after I let the mugs sit for over 24 hours after baking and a good scrubby hand washing.

Tips:

  • I suggest before using the Sharpie, washing each mug with soap and water and letting them dry completely then wipe the surface you plan to write on with rubbing alcohol.
  • Rubbing alcohol can save your life when working with Sharpie pens. If you make a mistake like I did  just take a cotton ball or Q-tip dipped in alcohol and wipe it away! 


Presto :-(
Change-O! :-D


















 I did find oil based Sharpies at Michaels. Since my regular silver sharpie worked fine as well as the Elmer's marker, I would make sure the receiver of this gift knows to only hand wash the mugs.

One gift down, 29 to go...
Kiss Kiss,

Natrina The Perki Giver

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment