26 December 2012

Great Guy Gift: Ombre Necktie

This tie I made for my friend John for Hanukkah! Every year we celebrate at least one night together, its become our families' tradition. I also made one as my Step-Dad's Christmas gift in a different color which he totally loved.


Things you'll need:
Dye-able necktie
Tulip Dye (powder or liquid)
Stainless steel bowl
Water (temperature per instructions)

Step 1: Follow the direction on your Dye  for prepping your tie and preparing the dye. Some dyes need hot water others room temperature will work fine make sure you know which type of dye you are using and how the color is set, either by cold rinse or dry set where you put your item in the dryer for the color to stay. In my case for this project i used a hot water heat setting dye. I also wet my tie first according to the dye instructions.

Step 2: Begin the dying process. There are two main ways to get the Ombre effect
  • Option 1-- Dunk your item to a point where you want the effect to begin then, slowly remove  the item  out of the dye a little at a time. 
  • Option 2-- Sink your item  into the dye a little at a time watch carefully since the dye will climb or be adsorbed by the fabric in this method.. 
Both methods require some time standing over the dye so which ever method is easier for you to do for your item go for it. I tried both and it's my personal opinion that Option 2 gave me a richer color saturation than Option 1 but to each his own.

*Warning:  DO NOT cook or boil dye. Only follow dye instructions.
Option 1- submerge the whole front of tie.
Option 1- slowly pull the tie part way out of dye
Option 1- the tip of the tie stays in the longest

Step 3: Rinse  and set the  Dye. According to my instruction I rinsed my item in cold water until it rinsed clear and then popped int in the dryer at medium heat. Huzzah, a cool tie for your husband, dad, brother, son or guy friend!
Option 1-- Final Results

Here's a look at Option 2 final results, you can clearly see where the dye 'climbed' at the top. this happened when I dipped the tie and then slowly pulled it out, the dye went both directions.
Option 2-- Final Results

Happy Holidays!

Kiss Kiss,
Natrina 
The Perki Giver


No comments:

Post a Comment