24 December 2012

Perki Monthly SMASH-style Calendar


This was one of my favorite gifts to make so far! There are two main reasons why. One it was for my "bestest" friend in the world and Two she really needs a personal calendar she has twins on the way enough said as to how busy she will be in the coming years. This project was seeded from a demonstration I saw about SMASH books. I didn't use any of the products here but you easily could and I will definitely do a project with some of them in the future. These are a great gifts for the scrapbooker or that friend that still has ticket stubs from fifth grade hanging around (wink!).

Let's jump right in!

Things you'll need:
small binder or SMASH book
File folders
different kinds of paper (various colors, textures, patterns etc)
single hole punch
pouch (optional)
Printer (optional)

















Step 1: Create a guide!
This one step can make this a very fun project where you ride a wave of creativity or really frustrating where you have to keep redoing pieces because holes don't match up. Make sure you get the hole placement right this one time and then use it over and over when it comes time to put the book all together.



GUIDE!!!!!



Step 2:
Use your handy dandy guide to make file dividers and pockets. I made one divider and two pockets from coordinating file folders.  Those turned out so well I  made two more pockets out of scrapbook paper.

File Folder divider: Lay file folder flat. Place the guide over the section you would like to cut out. For this one I included the tab. I used small binder clips to hold the guide in place while cutting. you could also trace around the guide and then cut it out as well. Punch holes in accordance to the guide and Voila!
Pocket divider: Use the guide and cut out your base from a file folder or scrapbook paper just like you did for the divider. To create the pocket arrange the top piece how you want your pocket to open either diagonal or straight across at various height. Allow for at least 1/4'' inch on all edges except the side with holes. You won't have to glue that side since the rings will hold that side together. That 1/4'' inch border will wrap around three edges of the base piece. Glue works with light weight papers, but I secured the edges with clear tape for stiff or heavy paper.


File Folder divider
Pocket divider


Step 3: If you decide to add the pouch use the guide to punch the holes. I found this one on sale at Office Depot along with some really cute rhinestone pencils. And be a dear and give the hole punch as well since for these smaller binders a three-hole punch might not always work. I also found black note book paper that matched the black pencils and is awesome to write on with pencil or opaque gel pens. Personalize  it as much as possible.

You can also make a pouch! Take a sheet o f 8 x11" card stock and fold it 1/3 of the in horizontally. the holes will be along the fold, use the guide. close the top and bottom sides with glue, brads or whatever you like. With this one I used ribbon by cutting slits with an Exacto knife and weaving the ribbon through and glued it in place on the backside.  To make the flap of the pouch a 1/4 inch hem glued and taped to the back of the card stock and folded over to close the pocket on front. Here I tore the edges to add some flair.




Step 4: Add on a monthly calendar. I got this one from Printable Calendars. They have all kinds of different calendar options, landscape , portrait, 12, 13, 14-month the possibilities are endless! I downloaded the calendar I wanted and used Microsoft Publisher to edit the size to fit inside the book. Punched holes with the guide and this nifty notebook just got a 14-month calendar upgrade.



Step 5: The Cover!
This part was probably my most favorite technique since you can use it for just about anything and people think they are getting first rate art! I simply ripped long strips of different kinds of scrapbook paper I had in my stash. I keep the pieces all in the same color group but you don't have too. that is true for the shapes you rip as well, you don't even have to rip you could have a nice straight edge, the trick is to patchwork the pieces together. I used white paper as a base and glued my strips on. Test out your base sheet for size and thickness before you start gluing, that it can slide into the clear pocket of the front of the binder. And if you really want to get perki with it do the side binding as well the exact same way.



















Whoa! Totally worth the smile I got from my best friend when she opened it!

TA DA!

Kiss Kiss,

Natrina
The Perki Giver

No comments:

Post a Comment